Notice: In Effect as of Friday August 9, 7:00 AM EDT
We are currently closed to children's book submissions.
Please sign up for our newsletter for updates and for advance notice when we reopen to submissions.
Newsletter recipients will receive at least 24 hours of advance notice when we have submission calls. Sign up here.
Children's Picture Books: 500-1200 words
Please include the following:
1. A query with 3 paragraphs as follows, in the body of your email:
- Paragraph 1 about the work. Include word count, genre, plot pitch.
- Paragraph 2 about the author. Can include relevant experience, including life experience related to the story and/or writing experience, information about any other novel projects in the works or planned, talents that can contribute to production, such as being a voice actor. Diverse authors are encouraged to identify themselves. #ownvoices authors should identify themselves. Please list the author's social media accounts with corresponding links.
- Paragraph 3 about the intended audience for the submission. Who will read this? Is there a specific age group or group of people dealing with a particular issue or who have a particular interest this will appeal to? What do you hope readers will take away from this book?
2. The complete manuscript. Follow standard manuscript formatting guidelines (William Shunn). Send with or without your images in the file. Completed work for children's. The manuscript should be sent as a .doc or .docx file; we will not read PDF or RTF files.
****Email to email@example.com with the subject line as follows:
submission/book title/children's/word count
In the event that you realize you have missed one of the required items please resubmit all material again in a new email. Multiple emails with bits and pieces increases the likelihood that part of your submission will be lost.
Submissions can be addressed to Submissions or Sandra Ruttan.